About Me

My photo
Sauff Lundin Overspill, Kent, United Kingdom
I've been told it's like I keep my thoughts in a champagne bottle, then shake it up and POP THAT CORK! I agree...life is for living and havin fun - far too short to bottle up stuff. So POP!...You may think it... I will say it! (And that cork's been popped a few times... check out the blog archive as the base of the page for many more rants and observations!)

http://jaxobservesandrants.blogspot.com/'s Fan Box

Wednesday 3 October 2012

BLOG 223: Hope Springs


“My husband and I have never considered divorce... murder sometimes, but never divorce.”  
  Joyce Brothers



You really do not have to subscribe to a cause  to understand it. I quite often find myself lending a bit of support to things that personally I would NEVER do myself, but if they are the choices of my friends and it makes them happier than sad - then I'm in! 

A few years ago I went to a wicked party. It was in Vegas. It was without a shadow of a doubt one of the BEST parties I've ever attended. I'm not a great one for uniforms but we had a strict dress code. I'm not a great one for all girl shenanigans - but this party was strictly all female. 

All the girls wore white and had badges saying their names and the weight in poundage they has shed. 
"Hi  I'm Lisa and I have shed 148lbs of useless fat!" 
"Hi I'm Carol and I have shed 162lbs  GO ME!!" 
and so on and so . As I said it was  one of the best parties I have ever attended.  Champagne flowed as the fourteen beautiful ladies partied the night away at Rain nightclub in the gorgeous Palms hotel standing out from crowd in their stunning white gowns.  

Needless  to say our group attracted a lot of attention. 

"Are you from weight-watchers?" was a popular question. Of course no they were not - though to be honest a couple of the girls had gone through some remarkable metamorphoses in their physical appearances,  but no... they were not celebrating success on a traditional weight loss programme. The weight loss to the girls badges referred to the weight of their outgoing spouses. It was a divorce party. 

I have to say I did feel a tad bogus attending; having never been married. However, having just escaped a thirteen year relationship (longer than the duration of some of my friends marriages I hasten to add) so I was a bone-fide attendee and it was terrific fun to celebrate the start of a new chapter of my life in the company of other women about to do exactly the same thing. 

People often asked me why I have never been married. Actually FAR too often!  I usually fudge my response and change the subject. It's not like I'm unsure of my response - it's just that those who ask absolutely NEVER like my REAL and TRUE answer. 

In a way it would be better if I could trot out some kind of post-feminist 'right on' answer about chattels and ownership... that would be so much easier to understand. But that is not what I believe (even though it is self evident that a father walking his daughter down the aisle to her groom is obviously a reenactment of the transfer of ownership of a piece of property). People are prepared for that argument, people know what to do. But really... I don't subscribe to that. In fact I totally do understand that getting married (in the western tradition at least) is a private romantic thing... the pinnacle of romantic love. And no... I'm not against that. 

In fact I am off to a wedding this Saturday... and I couldn't be more misty eyed and happy for my friends who are taking this leap together. 

So NO. I am not anti-marriage per se. 

But to me... I truly believe that people marry because they think it will be about HIM and HER. And maybe... just maybe... that is exactly what a WEDDING is about. But I truly believe that a MARRIAGE is not.  
A marriage never is about him and her. 

Marriage involves taking on many other people. A whole network of them, and sure you get some of their joys... but you also get all their problems, fears and difficulties too. Truth is... I have never wanted any of that. I do not possess the patience to deal with it.  When I'm in relationships I've always wanted - still always want - my romantic life to be about me and him. 

YUP... see what I mean... popular as mud that one. So much easier to fudge some more palatable nonsense about never having found 'the right one yet'. People like that one.  So do I - it makes for a MUCH shorter conversation.

It's so much easier for them to digest that than the thought of a little girl growing up without ever feeling the need to play brides with a towel and sheet. It's easier for them to accept that I have been 'unlucky and the search continues' than accept the idea that hitchin my coach to someone else's horses has never remotely interested me as a lifestyle choice.   

I HAVE TO MAKE THIS CLEAR: I do not condemn those who do - and the very existence of  my alternate view of the tradition does not mean anything other than what it is. It's just an alternative view. Like in a restaurant two diners may both order steak. But just because one person orders salad and other orders creamed potatoes does not indicate that the salad orderer wishes spuds to be outlawed!  Its just a different personal choice.
   
The blog before last (No. 221)  looked at some rather amusing stats from a dating website. One of the most uplifting ones was that 80% of people who divorce go on to marry again.  That statistic always puts me in mind of Samuel Johnson when he said of  a chap who remarried quickly after a prior rotten union: "A triumph of hope over experience". 

Divorce is a peculiar state. It makes people do things they thought they would NEVER do. One of the reasons why when the girls ran off to Vegas to party was that despite the fact all initially promised that the relationship breakdowns would be conducted in a "mature, no-blame, it's one of those things"  kind of way. That was nothing like what actually happened. When long term plans go up in smoke and your life takes an unexpected turn... no matter how you think you will handle it, you all end up drunk on the same cocktail: 

1 part betrayal 
1 part disappointment 
1 part hurt 
2 parts banality 

And we all know that no one can reason with a drunk.  Hardly surprising then that  fueled with that cocktail  and finding that there is no legal recourse or compensation for wasted years, the total value of the marriage comes down to who can childishly claim ownership of the most souvenirs of those years that do have a fiscal value.  I was the only one in the party in Vegas that was not embroiled in a lengthy court battle for the possession of some ugly but valuable antique that was bought as a wedding present! 

My view has always been that once something so private, so intimate as romantic love moves into the public arena... well... what's the old saying... "Too many cooks spoil the broth". So yeah... I'd rather keep my romantic affairs out of the public arena thank you. It's still the same cocktail when it's over.. but at least there are no ugly wedding gifts to fight over at the end.

So yes, on the understanding that everything ends, I went to Vegas with the girls. BUT what was so great about our Vegas party was that by putting some miles between us and the broken relationships at home, we started to see that we should really be celebrating the fact that everything starts too. 

Sure everything ends... but that means what follows are new opportunities and yes new challenges. 

For me it was about leaning to become complete without a partner. The end of that relationship gave me a fabulous opportunity to learn that I will always have plenty of people to do something with but having no one to do absolutely nothing with is absolutely okay. 

But for others it was about reconnection.... it is the something they need to be complete. And that is pretty cool I think.
 
That's why I particularly love going to my friends weddings now we are all over the first flush of youth. These are not the weddings of the school yard crushes or the unions formed at the university disco. There is something more meaningful, more considered about the weddings I'm at these days. Of course it does mean for me another long day of dodging bullets about my status but hey...  I have to love the fact that they've found another cocktail: 

1 part hope 
1 part gratification 
1 part comfort 
2 parts wild optimism 

Okay I don't love the fact they con me into buying them something from yet another list from the John Lewis Partnership.But hey ho! They throw a good party... 

And for those who were wondering about the Vegas Chicks: 
Of the fourteen of us who lit up the dance floor (and a couple of podiums - mentioning no names! - You know who you are!) of  Rain nightclub that crazy February weekend... Twelve are now remarried. Considering that I was not a divorcee then and have still have no plans to ever marry now.... my abstinence from the figures takes the percentile WAY above the statistical average.
  
"A triumph of hope over experience" Said Samuel Johnson in 1770. 
Yes, Mr Johnson, yes indeed... and yet I feel obliged to add that in JaxWorld... I find that the whole point of life Sir? 





The JaxWorld Blog can be followed on Twitter- @JaxWorldBlog     

Or you can join over 8000 fans of The JaxWorld Blog on Facebook - http://www.facebook.com/The.JaxWorld.Blog   
Thanks for continuing to vote for JaxWorld as the Best Blog about Stuff and for ALL your support that has made this blog such a huge success.


  
   










No comments:

Post a Comment