About Me

My photo
Sauff Lundin Overspill, Kent, United Kingdom
I've been told it's like I keep my thoughts in a champagne bottle, then shake it up and POP THAT CORK! I agree...life is for living and havin fun - far too short to bottle up stuff. So POP!...You may think it... I will say it! (And that cork's been popped a few times... check out the blog archive as the base of the page for many more rants and observations!)

http://jaxobservesandrants.blogspot.com/'s Fan Box

Thursday 16 August 2012

BLOG 217: Lies all Lies!!!

 "There can be no keener revelation of a society's soul than the way in which it treats its children." Nelson Mandela



I have just got off the phone with an old friend who told me that last night she had an interesting conversation with her young son.  With secondary school looming she wished to ensure that he was up to speed on how human beings reproduced. This wasn't the mechanical side of things she was approaching - she'd left that to his schooling (in the UK kids from 5-7 years of age learn this in the classroom), it was more the physical and emotional side of things that she had rather ducked out of talking through with him and time had more than certainly run out!  Faced with zero choice, she called her son into the living room for the big chat.   

On viewing the information books that my friend had laid out on the coffee table, the little boy froze.  

"Are you alright?" she enquired 

"NO!" screamed the boy and he ran upstairs and slammed his bedroom door 

Confused my friend followed and tapped on the child's door. Finally after much coaxing the little boy, tear stained and blotchy faced opened the door to his room. 

"What's up honey?" she asked 

"I don't want you to tell me it isn't so" hiccupped the distressed child 

My friend was totally befuddled, and sat and consoled the boy until he was able to speak rationally about his fears.  She knew she'd stalled on having this chat due her own embarrassment and realised that by having it late, the child may have heard versions of how humans reproduce from other sources. She started to feel bad about letting her own feelings get in the way of giving her son the information he needed when he needed it  and prepared herself to sort out myth from fact. 

But she was not prepared for what the child said  next 

"Mummie, I don't want you to tell me it isn't so" 

"What isn't so baby?" she asked 

"When I was 6 we were shopping in Sainsbury's and you bought chocolate eggs and when I asked why you did and not the Easter Bunny you told  me that there isn't an Easter Bunny, then when I was 8 and you didn't have change that time I lost my big tooth you said there was no Tooth Fairy, then last year you called me in and told me Santa wasn't real, so now I DON'T want you to tell me that The Sexy isn't real either...please Mummie, please!" 

Yep! The child had found out about human reproductive intercourse  through  another avenue  and quite liked the idea of "The Sexy"! Based on his other one to one chats with his mum he has assumed that like the Easter Bunny, the Tooth Fairy  and Santa, "The Sexy" was  just yet another myth waiting to be quashed as a right of passage! 

Oh how we laughed!!! (Well I did... I thought it hilarious!)  Poor kid, chocolate eggs, money for teeth, presents from a jolly beardy man in the artic, all proven to be big fat hairy lies and now he thought the only interesting thing he'd ever do with his nether regions was  heading the same way! 

On a more sober note though... parents everywhere... DO NOT assume it will always be YOUR choice when and how your kids will learn how to put what they learn into social perspective, if you won't step up there are more than a zillion ways for some other source to take your place. 

But more than this... PLEASE... try to have chats with your kids that don't always involve killing their fantasies!  






 
The JaxWorld Blog can be followed on Twitter- @JaxWorldBlog  
 
 
 
Or you can join over 7000 fans of The JaxWorld Blog on Facebook - http://www.facebook.com/The.JaxWorld.Blog 
 
 
 
 
 
Thanks for continuing to vote for JaxWorld as the Best Blog about Stuff and for ALL your support that has made this blog such a huge success.

No comments:

Post a Comment