About Me

My photo
Sauff Lundin Overspill, Kent, United Kingdom
I've been told it's like I keep my thoughts in a champagne bottle, then shake it up and POP THAT CORK! I agree...life is for living and havin fun - far too short to bottle up stuff. So POP!...You may think it... I will say it! (And that cork's been popped a few times... check out the blog archive as the base of the page for many more rants and observations!)

http://jaxobservesandrants.blogspot.com/'s Fan Box

Sunday 18 March 2012

Blog 198: The Whistle Blower

“Compliments are received with all the enthusiasm of minnow accepting chocolates from a shark” Decca Aitkenhead [referencing talking to the actor Hugh Grant]

In 1987, I went to the cinema to see a movie called Maurice. The film was beautiful – as was the book it was based on, and although I have nothing in common with any of the elements that attracted me to it – it touched me deeply and I have an affectionate spot for all involved in the bringing it to the screen to this day.

The film brought to my attention a 25 year old British actor by the name of Hugh Grant. I have followed his career with the same interest as I have all involved with Maurice, though I never really counted myself as a fan of his until the redoubtably excellent ‘About a Boy’, which in my humble opinion remains his career best performance. When all is said and done though, the name Hugh Grant above the title of a film is not enough to drive me to a seat in the cinema.

However, empathy for Hugh Grant runs deep within me.

I hasten to add my path and his have never crossed. If, during my discourse through London glitterati /Fulham FC, we have been in the same place at the same time – I have been entirely unaware. My empathy with Mr Grant comes purely from what I observe third hand through the media and general tittle-tattle.

From what I can decipher, from such a tenuous way to form an opinion of someone, is that he is a person for whom a persona has been invented by persons with their own agenda. When he (in my opinion bravely) stood up to challenge that persona invented and expressed with such moral certitude by its creators, he has found himself cast as a bitter man, a hypocrite and a person who will bite the hand that undoubtedly fed him for years. The experience has left the self depreciating actor suffering from acute anxiety - he can bearly believe a compliment these days, he is always waiting for the other shoe to drop . His critics describe this as the arrogance of a talent-lite dilettante.

Regular readers of JaxWorld have probably worked out why my empathy for the actor runs so deep... whistle blowing.

I have always felt it is our duty as human beings to speak up, and speak out. It is very easy to live your life complicitly. Over all complying with the rules is what makes society work – I can see that, I even agree with that... but when something is pretending to be something it is not, especially when it is marketing itself as ‘for the good of the people’... one should question it. If you don’t then as the old saying goes, the success of evil depends not upon who promotes it, but upon those who say and do nothing in the presence of it. It is our moral duty to speak up...and speak out – as uneasy as that path may be.

I recall a good many years ago, the daughter of an acquaintance of mine was raped. The circumstances were unusual and while there was no doubt of the crime, the media could not contain their glee in covering the story. Eventually they broke the covenant that said the victim should never be revealed, and splashed the girls face all over the papers. In the end, someone whistle blew on the process in which the identity and photographs of the victim got into the media’s realm. Three cheers to the whistle blower and shame on you to the newspaper in question – but that is not the issue.

I do very much recall that when brought to book on this the media defence was “The public have a right to know”. To this day I cannot fathom what public service there was in exposing the identity of the victim of such a terrible crime.

This question is the big issue... Are the perpetrators still in touch with own principals?

Sometimes powerful people and organisations are so convinced that their way is the only way... they lose track of what it is the way even stands for. There is a line with any principal. And if you cross the line you have left what you stand for behind and should be prepared for questions to be asked.

Having the mentality that if someone does not find your conduct inline with your principals that they should be deconstructed and assailed - is quite simply Wrong. You and your beliefs/organisation are not under attack if someone highlights that sometimes the talk you are talking and the walk you are walking are not exactly in line... you are being questioned. That is all.

Take a pause, look at yourself and ask yourself honestly... “Am I still what I say I am?” You may be grateful of the whistleblowers intervention. Because if your principal was to give the public ‘the right to know’ in order to serve the Freedom of Information Act.... you HAVE to ask yourself what public rights are being served by publishing a photograph of a raped child, or the details of a private conversation between an A list actor and his girlfriend?

This is where action and intent have gone awry. And it is (in the UK at least) our RIGHT to whistle blow and call perpetrators to book.


I am tired of perpetrators confusing their right to defend themselves from accusations with being defensive. To recast someone’s character purely because they have highlighted that the principal that you hold dear may well gone astray (possibly without your knowledge) is plainly speaking... evil.

I find it appalling that because a person speaks out about something that is evidently open to be challenged, that they be pilloried. I find I even worse that those whose conduct and motivation should be the focus of attention have instead turned the tables and turned the focus of the debate to be upon the character of the accuser. To rubbish someone's charecter to the point where they cannot even take a compliment anymore because their self esteem has been cut to ribbons is unforgiveable.

I watched Maurice again last night. Hugh Grant was 25 years old! I wonder if the young actor could have had any idea of the path that lay ahead of him? Probably not... what do any of us know when we are 25!!!

I also watched the footage of the Leveson enquiry from November last year again. The actor, in his early 50’s, showed no sign of the invented media personality of a heartless, feather-brained lothario. What I saw was a thoughtful, articulate, brave man highlighting the gap between the principal of the organisations he was taking on and the actual conduct of the same organisations.

Without puppet masters creating his personality, I could clearly see the real person. This was NOT a bitter man looking for revenge because the hand that fed him didn’t suit him anymore... this was someone who had been hurt in real terms. And yet despite the hurt there he was, holding an olive branch proclaiming that if they could stop the hurt he would forgo any apologies and damages.

The council for the enquiry, Robert Jay said afterward to Mr Grant “You have been very fair...you bowled straight balls”. And yet the actor was still referred to in the press coverage as an aging lounge lizard of questionable morality and worth. Funny enough this month when interviewed, Grant was asked if he regretted whistle blowing, he said “Yes, of course. The backlash moments have been terrible. Traditionally, they will always have their revenge. It may be eaten cold, but there will be revenge.” And yet knowing that... he still spoke out... and spoke up.

The levenson enquiry continues, at the time publishing this blog. Whatever the final outcome may we all take from it a lesson:

No man, No woman, No organisation, No government is above having its culture, practice or ethics questioned. We are just people, and sometimes we drift away from what we set out to be at the start. We should not attack or diminish those who challenge our notion of where we are on the path.

Because sometimes...just sometimes... when we are on a path, we are blind to exactly where we are walking.


The JaxWorld Blog can be followed on Twitter- @JaxWorldBlog

If you enjoyed this blog and you want to contact Jax or find out more about the JaxWorld blog, pls log onto: http://thejaxworldblog.vpweb.co.uk/

Thanks for continuing to vote for JaxWorld as the Best Blog about Stuff and for ALL your support that has made this blog such a huge success

1 comment:

  1. NOT a Hugh Grant fan but I think he did himself credit when he can Coogan (can't remember his 1st name) spoke out, they must have known the press would kill them for it! But he has gone RIGHT up in my estimation because of it. (Still would never go to one of his films though)

    Barry

    ReplyDelete