About Me

My photo
Sauff Lundin Overspill, Kent, United Kingdom
I've been told it's like I keep my thoughts in a champagne bottle, then shake it up and POP THAT CORK! I agree...life is for living and havin fun - far too short to bottle up stuff. So POP!...You may think it... I will say it! (And that cork's been popped a few times... check out the blog archive as the base of the page for many more rants and observations!)

http://jaxobservesandrants.blogspot.com/'s Fan Box

Monday 1 July 2013

BLOG 253 -Tell you where Waldo is!


"British people can appear repressed in expressing emotions. Not very good at  anything like that." Emily Blunt  - Actress



Ever noticed that some friends just disappear and you find yourself wondering “What ever happened to……………..?”

Well, it’s no mystery. I’ll tell you what happened:

You pissed them off – They were too polite to tell you.

There you go. Mystery solved.

If you are lucky, when someone is upset with us, they'll shout, stomp off, roll their eyes, refuse to speak to us or complain to everyone else…. Word gets to us. We know.

But really despite being in a culture where it's easy to fire off a snippy email or text, most of us have a hard time honestly expressing anger face to face… we kid ourselves that we aren't upset and subconsciously fume—until one day we just depart abruptly and cannot be traced .

This is not a particularly healthy way to approach our relationships– but really how stupid does someone have to be to not realise that they are no longer bathing in the sun of your admiration and are entering the deep freeze?

I hate conflict and try hard to avoid getting into that situation with others. As a result, I sometimes wait way too long to tell someone that I am upset. But people upset me… it’s par for the course. But it is not natural to me to face off with folk…. It takes an age.

By the time I do, of course….I am furious. Apparently I am so great at concealing my rage (by clamming up about the subject that enrages me) that folks actually don’t even know I am a time bomb about to explode. It all comes as a bit of a surprise.

This is the HUGE problem with holding back rage: Once you do finally show you are angry, you may just explode.

And here is the science part: When you have the steaming hump, your brain gets a wash of chemicals, including adrenaline and testosterone (not the most reasonable of chemicals). Unfortunately, this state can continue for hours – or in my case days, weeks, months… oh hell YEARS!!!!

This is NOT good . 

Once, I exploded after concealing my rage for far too long (it was months!!). To be fair it wasn't just the British disease of repressed emotions; the person who I was annoyed at blocked any chance for me to have a conversation  about it. She responded to my first attempt to express my opinion on the matter by saying I made her feel like she was being manipulated into doing something she didn't wish to do. So as she’d made me powerless to say how much I objected to her actions, she did as she pleased with no further word on the subject from me… but I was STEAMING inside.

To keep a lid on it, the deep freeze was my only way of dealing with her. (No chit chat, short factual answers, minimal opportunities opening up to spend time with her.. you know the sort of thing) I reckoned she notice the change in my demeanour and enquire… but no. Never under estimate the ego of the self-obsessed and permanently righteous: she figured outside forces were responsible (the weather) and bought me a lovely little book on Seasonal Affected Disorder (SAD)!!!!

Nice book but that was really just more fuel for the bonfire. The only thing that was making me SAD…. Was the way she had treated our friendship cavalierly then muted my voice so I couldn't express it without being cast as manipulative!!!!

I was sooooooooooo Angry!!!!

In the end ….. kaboom!!!

To all appearances it seemed to be over the littlest thing….
But it wasn't…. it was over a mountain of things

It was over the fact that she wanted to do something that was bad for us
It was over the fact she removed my right of veto by saying my opinion, my feelings on the matter were just a manipulation
It was over the fact that once condemned to silence she actually thought I no longer had those opinions or feelings
It was over the fact that her every act of kindness from that point on felt like a further slice to my larynx
It was over that ruddy self help book
And yes it was also over the smallest littlest thing. (A hair clip I recall!!!)

But the blast area was messy beyond belief.

I was a proper volcano blowing its stack.

There is an argument that sometimes the best thing someone can do if they genuinely are too polite to telling you that they are at the end of their rope with the way you have treated them…
…is to leave you. Honestly, if someone knows enough about someone to call them friend and doesn't notice the friends wounds… it’s probably the clearest sign that it’s time for them to move on.

No one likes to lose a friend and no one like the complete lack of closure that comes when someone chooses to fade out of their lives. But honestly they are doing you a favour…  if the dialogue between you was so stunted that the person simply couldn't tell you what an ass you had been… It’s over anyway. And hey… a tactical withdrawal HAS to be better than the huge big out of control explosion.

So next time… when you look at those photos of yesteryear… and you look at the face of someone who used to be real, real close ….but then one day just seemed to vanish…


You need fret no more about them being on a missing persons list. If it's closure you need as to why they disappeared, well JaxWorld would like to help you:

It wasn't them… it was YOU.


The JaxWorld Blog can be followed on Twitter-@JaxWorldBlog




Or you can join over 10,000 fans of The JaxWorld Blog onFacebook http://www.facebook.com/The.JaxWorld.Blog




Thanks for continuing to vote for JaxWorld as the Best Blog about Stuff and for ALL your support that has made this blog such a huge success

No comments:

Post a Comment