About Me

My photo
Sauff Lundin Overspill, Kent, United Kingdom
I've been told it's like I keep my thoughts in a champagne bottle, then shake it up and POP THAT CORK! I agree...life is for living and havin fun - far too short to bottle up stuff. So POP!...You may think it... I will say it! (And that cork's been popped a few times... check out the blog archive as the base of the page for many more rants and observations!)

http://jaxobservesandrants.blogspot.com/'s Fan Box

Monday 17 June 2013

BLOG 251 - Calm Down Calm Down!


Anxiety's like a rocking chair. It gives you something to do, but it doesn't get you very far.” 

Jodi Picoult (author Sing you home)



Talking about stuff is the least natural human reaction… which is odd as talking is that thing we humans are most proud of. Communicating is what puts us one step above the primates. The most normal reaction is of course fight or flight. We are wired to process information and either go to war to secure our positions or run away to secure our safety.



Considering fight or flight is nature’s idea of how to solve conflict….I can’t recall much in my life that has ever been cured by fight or flight. 

One thing I note about conflict (myself anyway) is the inordinate amount of stratagising that goes on in my head when I am in this mode. I think the correct term is  ‘Mind Chatter’. Which is a thankfully short summation of the endless, restless stream of incomplete thoughts, anxieties and self-talk which constantly pulses through my mind when I’m processing a conflict situation. I suppose I am processing possible threats, dangers, solutions and explanations. It’s a ruddy tiring process trying to decide whether to stay and fight or leave and take flight - all that anxiety! Thus is comes as no surprise that I am pretty pants at conflict. I go out of my way to avoid it as - whatever reaction is called for be it fight or flight – it  is all rather draining.

This may be why I seldom act first, and usually wait for the other party make their move. In this circumstance I of course go into fight mode and the outcomes that result of that are pretty clear. Unfortunately, good clean fights are rare. What usually happens is that they don’t make their move. They clam up…. so I get paranoid. Which of course makes me act crazy…Which of course makes the other party clam up even more. Which leads to a tactical withdrawal (flight mode). And the outcomes are now very muddy as flight is followed by passive aggressive sniping from both parties.

 Thus (ultimately) all my onward steps have been negotiated – however if I am honest it’s usually a long road to get to the peace talks. Passive aggressive sniping can go on for years, decades… until a third party comes in demanding conflict resolution… and the talks are forced upon all parties for the greater good.

Yup…. Conflict is a LOT of work… and frankly I am much too lazy. So I'm delighted to have been looking into ways of managing the  fight or flight drive. With the power invested in the InterWeb, I was pretty sure there would be an easy 3 step plan to keep this anxiety and it's co-horts at bay.

Imagine my disappointment!  I swear the internet is full of quacks who simply say the words yoga and massage any old time someone says anything remotely stress related. (FYI… the breathing exercises that are also recommended quite simply do not work… once in fight or flight mode you are full of adrenaline…. The breathing exercises just convert this to a full on panic attack!)

However, I did find that the following things do actually quieten the mind and seems to turn that darn mind chatter down…making the importance of fighting or fleeing seeming less crucial, which in turn reduces the stress.

·         *Go for a 10-15 minute walk in comfortable shoes (honestly …tried this in very pretty high heeled wedges and the total effect was lost!). Lightly swing your arms, feel yourself breathe in and out slowly and evenly. Padding about the neighbourhood like this does wonders to get you down from the highs of anxiousness.

·         *Put on some music and either sing a long or dance – preferably both. (there is a lost of truth in the old hippy adeage, sing like no one is listening and dance like no one can see you). Do not hold back give it your all and throw yourself into the music

·         *Find a short term project that can bring on a change. (And Yes…this IS gonna sound like something your mother would have shouted at your teenage self to do) Go to your room  tidy your sweater drawer or index your old cds!  Yes I am aware that does sound NUTS … but honestly doing so gives you a quick practical demonstration of your power to control your own environment.

·        * Immerse yourself in hot water as soon as possible. Not only does bathtime unlock the tension in stressed out muscles it turns mind-chatter down from a constant  loud roar to very dull whisper


I can’t claim any of this will work for you… [yet who knows you may be the yoga /massage person the internet is just crying out to assist].  But if you are not that person and you do have the tell-tale anxiety creeping up on you: your head is full of thoughts and you are desperately trying to decide whether this is a battle to fight or flee, you’ll need to find a peaceful corner in your head. I can certainly recommend any of those four things. And if you are just seeking a little oblivion from whatever it is that is stressing you out>>>>I was amazed how rearranging my room, followed by a 15 minute walk, a hot bath and a disco for one… simply tuckered this gal out!

Of course the simplest way to resolve the issue of fight or flight is to talk it through with the effected parties. What makes us different from the other critters is our ability to talk about stuff. Unfortunately that all rather depends on having someone receptive on the other end of that dialogue to help us overcome the urge to just draw a kill zone around ourselves, or retreat till all that remains is the dust of our footsteps. 


The JaxWorld Blog can be followed on Twitter-@JaxWorldBlog




Or you can join over 10,000 fans of The JaxWorld Blog onFacebook http://www.facebook.com/The.JaxWorld.Blog




Thanks for continuing to vote for JaxWorld as the Best Blog about Stuff and for ALL your support that has made this blog such a huge success


No comments:

Post a Comment