About Me

My photo
Sauff Lundin Overspill, Kent, United Kingdom
I've been told it's like I keep my thoughts in a champagne bottle, then shake it up and POP THAT CORK! I agree...life is for living and havin fun - far too short to bottle up stuff. So POP!...You may think it... I will say it! (And that cork's been popped a few times... check out the blog archive as the base of the page for many more rants and observations!)

http://jaxobservesandrants.blogspot.com/'s Fan Box

Thursday 31 January 2013

BLOG 238: Shuttlecock



'An astonishing study of forms of guilt and puckering now and then into outrageous humour' 
-Sunday Times review of the classic 80's novel Shuttlecock. 



Every decade has it's book, and back in 1981 you were either illiterate or foetal if you had not picked up a copy of Graham Swifts novel, which later went on to be a movie starring Alan Bates. 

The  title refers to a codename for a spy, and was so chosen because unlike balls commonly used in racquet sports, the shuttlecock delivers a much higher top speed along with several other unique aerodynamic properties. Because of this to oppose the 'Shuttlecock'  aerobic stamina, agility, explosive strength, speed and precision would be demanded as entry level requirements. And yet there is something laughable about a shuttlecock... it just never looks like it could pose a threat. 

When I was a child I used to collect them. Strange funny corks wrapped with a skirt of feathers... and to add to the allure they came with so many strange tales... (the feathers only come from the left wing of a duck or a goose). They appealed to my childish self. They were quite simply a blend of strength and underestimation that I liked.  

As a non sporty adult, I find it amusing that so many of my closest friends chose Badminton, Jainzi or Battledore as their chosen methods of keeping fit... although my days of collecting 'birdies' as I used to call them, are long behind me... I can't help but smile when ever I see a shuttlecock. There remains something defiant about something that looks so silly and yet can routinely slice the elements at speeds of over 200mph. 

As an adult I find my self more and more feeling like a shuttlecock in many areas of my life. I just don't look like I could possibly deliver. On first glance I look decorative. Spend more time and you'll notice the lack of solidity. A simple person may read that like the cork and feather skirt that makes up the shuttlecock I am a combination that surely must be fanciful and fragile. And yes to a point that may be true... feathers are often painted pretty colours and do fall from a shuttlecock in play. But don't underestimate me. I come out fast and I change speed at will. I force rapid changes of direction and demand explosive power to keep up. I'll cause injury if you can't. 

I am everything I appear to be - but I am so much more. Often I will be what you didn't expect. Don't take me on if you can't get that or you will get hurt. 

Sorry about that. 

But it is... What it is. 

The JaxWorld Blog can be followed on Twitter- @JaxWorldBlog    
     
Or you can join over 9000 fans of The JaxWorld Blog on Facebook - http://www.facebook.com/The.JaxWorld.Blog     
     
Thanks for continuing to vote for JaxWorld as the Best Blog about Stuff 
and for ALL your support that has made this blog such a huge success  


No comments:

Post a Comment